Thursday, February 28, 2008

grandiloquent

oh come on, seriously? / meaning is obvious

Definition of grandiloquent:
"Speaking in a lofty style; pompous; bombastic.” (answers.com)

Where I ran across it:
2/28/08 online Washington Post eulogy, “William F. Buckley, Jr: Rapier Wit of the Right” by Henry Allen.

“What a grand and grandiloquent monster of genial and mischievous self-creation William Buckley was...”

My two cents:
Grandiloquent
is an honest to God word? In the dictionary? Really?

Really.

I’m amazed and astonished. Sounds like a word you make up on the fly – you know, “I think I’ll combine grandiose and eloquent and chortle over how clever grandiloquent is.” And then damn if it doesn’t already exist. In the dictionary. As does its cousin, “magniloquent.” Simply amazitonishing!

Henry Allen remembers William Buckley with a terrific article that captures Buckley’s brilliant and irritating essence. Go read it. It’s positively brillritating.

Pardon my chortle.

No comments: