Tuesday, February 5, 2008

feckless

I know this word – or thought I did. Then I looked it up. Uh-oh.

Definition of feckless:
“Lacking purpose or vitality; feeble or ineffective. Careless and irresponsible. The word feckless (purposeless, irresponsible) should not be confused with reckless (careless, headstrong), despite their similar sound and overlapping meaning.” (answers.com)

Where I ran across it:
NYT op-ed piece “Ask Not What JFK Can Do For Obama” by Frank Rich published February 3, 2008.

“...His critics argue back that he is a naïve wuss who will give away the store. They have mocked him for offering to hold health-care negotiations so transparent (and presumably feckless) that they can be broadcast on C-Span. Obama supporters point out that Mrs. Clinton’s behind-closed-doors 1993 health-care task force was a fiasco...”

My two cents:
“Feckless” is interesting to me by virtue of its proximity to “reckless.” The definition at answers.com makes it clear the two shouldn’t be confused because after all they are similar but different and even overlap but don’t let that puzzle you because in the end even though they aren’t the same they might be considered kindred. But for God’s sake don’t mix them up. Got it. Peas and carrots. Okey dokey. Let’s move along.

Yet another political commentary graces the news (gee, that’s a shock) but Frank Rich has penned a good and balanced read. What else would we expect today – it’s Super Tuesday and the media and the politicos are all in full battle array, totally psyched and ready to rumble. I’ll be going out today to vote, but before I do I would just like to ask a question. Is anybody out there actually edified or influenced by recorded phone messages from political candidates? Dear God make them stop. I received multiple calls this weekend from Republican underdogs, Romney and Huckabee, and today I heard from McCain – and Romney yet again. While well intended and certainly not reckless, does this strategy strike anyone as intrusive, and/or just downright feckless? Friday and Saturday night’s calls were particularly annoying since they assume I would be home in the first place. Guess I made it onto some demographic list of stay-at-home old farts. Ouch. Well, I’m hurt. But, like Hillary, I’ll try not to tear up. While the Republicans continue to call all day today as well, I think I’ll just go out and vote now – for my favorite Democrat. And that will be neither reckless nor feckless.

No comments: