Monday, January 14, 2008

slue

Familiar word / surprise meaning!

Definition of slue:
v. tr - 1. "To turn (something) on an axis; rotate: slued the swivel chair around; sluing the boom of a crane. 2. To turn sharply; veer: braked and slued the car around." (anwers.com)

n.- 1. "A large amount or number; a lot: a slew (also slue) of unpaid bills. 2. A depression or hollow usually filled with deep mud or mire. 3. A stagnant swamp, marsh, bog, or pond, especially as part of a bayou, inlet, or backwater (also slough) 4. A state of deep despair or moral degradation." (answers.com)

Where I ran across it:
1/14/08 – Atlanta Journal and Constitution crossword (from the L.A. Times).
The clue: “Turn on an axis.” The answer: “slue.”

My two cents:
Today's puzzle was not altogether difficult - although a simple little 4-letter word at 70-ACROSS totally stumped me. I had to fill in all of its intersecting words in order to come up with it. Well, how about that. I’ve NEVER heard this word used this way – that is, “turning on an axis or rotating”... Huh.

Would it be accurate to say Linda Blair slued her head around and around in The Exorcist? How about refining a certain familiar, crude rejoinder by saying, “Hey Joe. Why don’t you sit on it and slue!” Wonder what would happen if I ask the gas station guys to change my oil and slue my tires?

I feel so edified.

No comments: