Friday, August 8, 2008

lemniscate

This is a new word for me.

Definition of lemniscate:
“In algebraic geometry, any of several figure-eight or ∞ shaped curves, of which the best known is the Lemniscate of Bernoulli. It is also sometimes used to refer to the ∞ symbol used in mathematics as a symbol for infinity” (answers.com).

Where I ran across it:
8/8/08 NYT opinion article, “Crazy Eights,” in which illustrator Ben Schotts delivers a lot of useless (but interesting) information about the number 8.

“…Representing infinity with an elongated and rotated figure 8 is credited to the mathematician and cryptographer, John Wallis, who first used the lemniscate symbol in 1655…”

My two cents:
That old math deficit keeps returning to haunt me. Had I not been busy developing a nervous condition from trying to pass high school algebra and geometry, I might have learned the word lemniscate. I don’t remember learning much (if any) algebra from those days, but I remember my algebra teacher. He had a withered arm and was, I thought at the time, very old. He was probably no more than 50. At 16, 50 is very, very old. Now that I’m over 50, not so much. Although there are days when I seriously wonder…

Speaking of old, today’s NYT article about the number 8 is pretty interesting, with lots of references to ancient history, archaic origins, and customs surrounding that number. Example: tonight’s opening ceremonies for the 2008 Olympics in Beijing will begin at 8:08pm because in China, 8 is a lucky number.

Maybe I’ll get lucky in my old age and remember to tune in.

No comments: