Friday, March 28, 2008

ecdysiast

got me on this one

Definition of ecdysiast:
“a performer who provides erotic entertainment by undressing to music"

"Synonyms: stripper, striptease artist, striptease, strip teaser, exotic dancer, peeler”

“From ecdysis: The shedding of an outer integument or layer of skin, as by insects, crustaceans, and snakes; molting.”

“[Greek - ekdusis, a stripping off, from ekduein, to take off : ek-, out, off; see ecto– + duein, to put on.]”

(answers.com)

Where I ran across it:
3/29/08 NYT theater review, “Curtain Up! It’s Patti’s Turn at Gypsy!” by Ben Brantley.

“...The title character, after all, is a burlesque queen, embodied here in the charming flesh of Laura Benanti, who obliges with examples of the ecdysiast’s art in the second act. ...”

My two cents:
Ben Brantley has written another deliciously enticing review, and I've officially added the latest/greatest Broadway iteration of "Gypsy," starring Patti Lupone, to my wish list. Now if I can just beat the gay boys to the ticket kiosk... Hey, it could happen.

And it’s not every day one learns the politically correct word for “stripper.” Wow, am I one lucky cuss or what?

I have a twenty-something friend who’s a fetching peeler at the Pink Pony. I wonder if my friend knows she’s an ecdysiast? She reminds me very much of Diablo Cody, savvy young ex-stripper and screenwriter for the movie “Juno.” My friend is a smart, talented, well-spoken gal with a great vocabulary -- although I’m fairly sure her customers don’t care about any of that when the music starts. I don’t suppose, “Hey big boy, how would you like to buy an ecdysiast a drink?” is going to get her extra tips either, unless she’s impressing Dick Cavett – or Ben Brantley – or a veterinarian.

Then again, it could just be the most intriguing one-liner in the history of one-liners – or at the very least, a fascinating sociological experiment. Maybe she should just let ‘er rip.

Or just strip.

No comments: